Consular Services are provided to Australian citizens living or travelling in the United States by the Australian Embassy in Washington DC and the Australian Consulates-General in Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco.
If you require consular assistance during regular business hours, contact your nearest Australian mission. For consular emergencies outside business hours contact the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305 or SMS +61 421 269 080.
Consular services charter
The Consular Services Charter provides a high-level overview and information on consular services. The Australian Government will do what it can to help Australians in difficulty overseas, but there are legal and practical limits to what help we may be able to provide. Please see the relevant section of the Consular Services Charter for more information.
The media takes a close interest in incidents involving Australians overseas, ranging from crises to individual cases. Consular clients should be aware that there may be some limited circumstances when we will confirm to the media that we are providing you with consular assistance or correct and/or clarify information about the nature of that assistance.
- Travel advice
- Register your travel
- US visas and immigration
- Australian births, deaths and marriages registries
- Apply for an Australian passport
- Document Certification and Notarial Services
- Australian driver's licences
- Australian police background checks
- US Lawyer referral services and U.S. State Bar Associations
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- White House Tours and Visiting Washington DC