Who needs a guarantor?

If you are using the Australian Passport Renewal Application form (PC7), a guarantor is not required.

If you are using the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (PC8) you must provide a guarantor.  This includes adult and child applications, even if you've had a passport before. Your guarantor must complete Section 11 of the application form.  They must also endorse the back of one photo by writing "This is a true photo of [your full name]" and signing underneath.   

General guarantor criteria - for PC8 clients only

You should ensure that your guarantor:

  • is not related to you by birth or marriage
  • is not in a de facto relationship with you
  • does not live at the same address as you
  • is 18 years of age or older
  • has known you for at least 12 months
  • is willing and available to discuss your application with us during normal business hours
  • meets the guarantor qualifications below.

Guarantor qualifications

There are two types of guarantors you can choose from:

1.   A current Australian passport holder


2.   A non-Australian who is currently employed in one of these occupation groups:

  • Accountants - must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
  • Bailiffs
  • Bank branch managers - not senior vice presidents or beyond, but the person in charge of an actual local branch of the bank
  • Chiropractors - must be licenced
  • Clerks of a court
  • Dentists
  • Doctors/Physicians - must have a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy degree and are residing and practising in the United States, Guam or the Virgin Islands
  • Elected Representative in the US House of Representatives or a state house of representatives or a local or city council
  • Elected Senator in the US Senate or a state Senate
  • Engineers - must be licenced by a US state as a Professional Engineer
  • Government employees - must be a permanent employee of the Federal Government or a state government or a local government with five or more years of continuous service with their current employer
  • Judges of a court
  • Lawyers or attorneys registered with a state bar association
  • Marriage celebrants
  • Midwives - must be licenced or certified
  • Military members - current members of the US armed forces with five or more years of continuous service (not a reserve)
  • Optometrists - must have Doctor of Optometry
  • Pharmacists - must be licenced
  • Police Officers - must be a current federal, state or local law enforcement officer with five or more years of continuous service
  • Psychologists - must be licenced
  • Postal Managers of a US Postal Service post office (i.e. the Postmaster or Postmistress)
  • Registered Nurses
  • Sheriffs
  • Tax Agents - enrolled or licensed to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service or a state or local government taxing authority
  • Teachers - elementary school, middle school, high school, or post-secondary teacher on a college or university faculty, holding a bachelor's degree and employed on a full-time basis with five or more years of service.  NOTE:  This does NOT include principals unless they teach full-time.
  • Veterinary surgeons - licensed by a federal, state or local government authority

Note: A Notary Public cannot be a guarantor unless he or she also meets the above criteria.

Note:  Passport staff cannot be your guarantor.  

What if I can't find a guarantor in the USA?

If you have recently relocated to the United States or do not know anyone here who can act as your guarantor, you should obtain a guarantor from a country where you previously lived - e.g. Australia. 

Mail/courier Section 11 of the PC8 form to your guarantor, together with one of your passport photos.  Once they sign the documents, they should mail/courier the originals back to you.  Once you receive them, you can submit your application. 

Please note we cannot accept faxes or emails from your guarantor. You must bring the original form and photo signed by the guarantor to your interview.