Go to top of page

Document certification and notarial services

Notarial services are provided by the Australian Embassy and Australian Consulates-General. Notarial services include authenticating and certifying documents, witnessing signatures, taking of statutory declarations, affidavits, oaths and affirmations, and other services.

Before requesting a notarial service, please make sure you know what service you require and confirm this with the organisation that requires your documents. We cannot provide advice on the notarial service you need.

Under the Consular Fees Act 1955, fees apply to notarial services. In the US, fees are payable by Visa or Mastercard in US dollars only and may vary on a monthly basis, depending upon exchange rates. Cash and cheques are not accepted.

The following fees are applicable for October 2021: 

Notarial Service AUD fee USD fee
Administering an oath or receiving a declaration or affirmation $74 $55
Effecting, or attempting to effect, service of a document and issuing a certificate or affidavit or service of a document $74 $55
Witnessing a signature or seal on a form or declaration $74 $55
Preparing a declaration or other document $74 $55
Verifying and certifying a copy of a document or part of a document $74 $55
Signing a document, or affixing a seal to a document or other article $74 $55
Witnessing the execution of a will $74 $55
Transmitting a document or other article through official channels $74 $55
Transferring funds through official accounts, other than for the purposes of the realisation of a deceased estate $74 $55
Preparation and issue of an Apostille certificate $85 $63
Preparation and issue of an Authentication certificate $85 $63
Preparation and issue of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage $150 $111


During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we ask that all notarial services which can be obtained through the mail are done via mail instead of in person.  Services available by mail are: 

  • authentications
  • apostilles
  • certified copies of original documents

All other services must be done in person.  This includes witnessing signatures (e.g. for land transfers and driving licences), affidavits and wills.  Please see the table below to make an appointment at your preferred office. 


To obtain an authentication, certified copy or apostille through the mail, please provide the following:

  1. your original documents
  2. instructions on the service you require, including number of copies and which pages/documents are involved
  3. the country for which the document is required
  4. your email address and phone number in case we need to contact you
  5. your delivery address
  6. a Credit Card Authorisation Form for payment.  Please include authorisation for the $15 FedEx charge to return your documents, unless you intend to provide your own prepaid FedEx envelope or prepaid US Postal Service envelope.  Please note we do not accept UPS envelopes at this time.

Documents that are mailed without instructions and/or the correct payment cannot be processed.  We recommend that you use a courier that allows you to track delivery of your documents. 

Please address all mail to:

Consular Affairs
Embassy of Australia
1145 17th St NW
Suite GP410
Washington DC 20036-4707

Further information on notarial services can be found on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Please ensure that documents relating to Notarial services are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for witnessing any signatures on the documents. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note, by witnessing a signature on a document neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy or Consulates-General in the United States guarantee the legal effectiveness of the document or the accuracy of its contents.

Office locations

Notarial services are provided by the Embassy and the Consulates-General by appointment only.  During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we ask that any services that can be completed by mail are done via mail using the instructions above, instead of in person.  For services that must be done in person (eg. witnessing signatures for land transfers or driving licences, affidavits or wills), please contact your office below to make an appointment.  

Where When and How
WASHINGTON DC      BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Please email Consular.Washington@dfat.gov.au with details of the service you require and your days of availability. 

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. To schedule an appointment, please email Consular.Washington@dfat.gov.au with the details of the service you require and your days of availability. 

Note:  Please review Chicago’s Emergency Travel Order which advises current quarantine or COVID testing requirements for residents of high risk states travelling to Chicago. 


BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Schedule your appointment online.

Note:  For clients planning to travel to the Hawaiian Islands, we expect you to fully comply with the SafeTravels Hawai'i program prior to making your appointment online. 

HOUSTON BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Please call (832) 962 8420. 
LOS ANGELES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 2pm to 4pm. Schedule your appointment online.
NEW YORK  BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Schedule your appointment online.
SAN FRANCISCO BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Please call (415) 644 3620 at least 48 hours in advance.
MIAMI/DENVER The Honorary Consulates in Miami and Denver do NOT provide notarial services.

J-1 visa waiver ‘No Objection’ statement

Australian J-1 visa holders who are subject to, but do not wish to comply with, the two-year home country residence requirement (or Foreign Residence Requirement), may apply for a waiver of that requirement on the basis of a ‘No Objection’ statement issued by the Australian Government.


We can only authenticate or make certified copies of education documents issued by an accredited Australian education authority. The education document must first have been verified by the central Student Administration office or the nominated representative of the issuing institution as a 'true and accurate record’ of the certificate issued to the student. You should contact the Australian institution where the certificate was issued for information on how to obtain their verification. Further information is available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

We cannot authenticate or certify copies of education certificates issued by an education institution outside Australia. For these, you should contact the Embassy of the country in which the education certificate was issued.