Instructions to submit a PC7 application by mail
From 3 October 2022, adults using the one-page Australian Passport Renewal Application (PC7) form can apply by mail. All other clients must apply in person.
The steps to apply by mail are:
- Prepare your application form
- Prepare your photos
- Complete your Credit Card Authorisation Form
- Complete your Cover Sheet and delivery information
- Prepare your application kit
- Send your application kit to your lodging office
Please see the information below for detailed instructions.
Prepare your application form
- Go to www.passports.gov.au to create an account and fill out your application online.
- Print your completed application (colour or black & white) on US Letter-size paper. You may need to adjust your printer settings so that it fits on US Letter-size paper, especially if you use Google Chrome. Look for Shrink to Fit or Fit to Page in your print settings.
- Compare your printed form with the image onscreen. Check your printed form shows:
- a barcode at the top right-hand corner of the printed page that starts with 778
- Office Use Only section at the bottom of the page with nothing cut off
- a black triangle in the bottom left and right-hand corners of the printed page.
- Sign and date your form at Section 5 using black pen and make sure:
- You use Australian date format (DD/MM/YYYY)
- There are no alterations to your signature or date
- Your signature is completely inside the signature box, and does not touch the box.
Prepare your photos
- Obtain 2 photos that meet the Australian passport standards. See our website for a list of photographer locations.
- For quality reasons, we reject 95% of photos from locations not listed on our website.
- We CANNOT accept photos from Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, USPS, Costco, AAA or FedEx.
- No selfies allowed.
- Photos must be printed on a dye sublimation printer (no inkjet prints).
- Print your full name on the back of one photo.
- Make sure ink from your name doesn’t smudge on to the face of the second photo.
- Do NOT attach photos to your form. Protect your photos in a small envelope, baggie or plastic sleeve.
Complete your Credit Card Authorisation Form
- Print a Credit Card Authorisation Form and complete the details.
- Mark the boxes to authorise payment for Application Fees and the FedEx Fee (plus Emergency Passport if travelling within 3 weeks).
- Check our Fees page for current application fees and the type of payment card(s) accepted by your lodging office. We do not accept cash or cheques.
Complete your PC7 Cover Sheet and Delivery Information
- Print a PC7 Cover Sheet and complete it. One coversheet per family group is required.
- Passports are sent by FedEx to the home address listed on your application. Someone must sign on delivery. To request your new passport be sent to a different address (e.g. work address), make this request in a B11 General Declaration form and include this form with your application kit. Please note passports cannot be sent to PO Boxes.
Prepare your application kit
Your application kit must include:
- PC7 cover sheet (one per family group)
- Your completed PC7 application form
- Two passport photos
- Credit card authorisation form
- If you have travel booked: a copy of your tickets
- If you need your passport delivered to a different address: a B11 General Declaration.
- If your current passport is damaged: a B11 General Declaration stating how/when/where the damage occurred, plus a photocopy of the photo page of your passport.
Do NOT send your current passport or any other original documents.
Please disregard the instruction on the application form to include your passport.
Send your application kit to your lodging office
- Find out which Passport Office accepts mail applications from your state. Applications sent to the incorrect office will be returned.
- Make sure your envelope is clearly marked to the attention of the Passport Office.
- If you are applying for an Emergency Passport, clearly write EMERGENCY PASSPORT on the outside of your envelope.
- We recommend you use a mail or courier service that provides a tracking number so you can confirm delivery.
What happens next
After delivery, allow up to 2 weeks for processing of your application to begin. You will know we are working on your application once you see the charges appear on your credit/debit card statement.
Monitor your email in case we need to contact you for further information.
If your application is complete, it will be forwarded to Australia for further processing and for your passport to be printed. The time to receive your new passport will be approximately 8-12 weeks from the time your application fees are receipted. If you need a new passport to travel in the meantime, please see our Urgent Travel page.
We will send you an automated email advising your application is complete when we receive your new passport from Australia. Your passport will be delivered to you via FedEx 1-2 working days afterwards.
If you applied as part of a family group, your passport will be sent once all the passports are ready and all group members have received their automated email.