Applying for temporary employment
Applicants for temporary employment must be United States citizens, United States lawful permanent residents (Green Card holder) or possess a valid Employment Authorization Document (Form I-566) issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Individuals will be required to present proof of valid work authorisation before an offer is made.
To be considered for full-time or part-time temporary work at the Embassy or Consulates-General, applicants are required to provide the following:
- a completed temporary work application form - Washington (PDF) OR a completed temporary work application form - New York (PDF)
- a completed probity check (PDF) with all required supporting documentation listed on page 16
- a completed personal particulars form (PDF)
- an electronic copy of their current drivers licence
- an electronic copy of the biodata (photo) page of their current passport
- proof of valid work authorisation for the United States of America
Please submit these forms with a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org if applying for the Embassy in Washington DC OR email@example.com if applying to the Consulate-General in New York
Temporary vacancies are usually filled on a short-term contract basis from those listed on the Embassy or Consulate-General's temporary staff register. Most vacancies are full-time but less than 3 months in length. Types of temporary vacancies include executive/administrative assistant, registry/file assistant, receptionist, guard, and driver.
Occasionally, longer term temporary vacancies (3 months or more) will occur and will be advertised on Current Vacancies.
Please note that applications are kept on file for 12 months. Your application will be considered when temporary vacancies arise and decisions are based on suitability, availability, and/or the possession of a security clearance (if required by the position). Start dates for all temporary vacancies are subject to satisfactory background checks being completed for all individuals. Only those applicants with valid authorisation to work in the United States will be considered for the Temporary Registry.