Go to top of page

Temporary employment

Applying for temporary employment

Only those already entitled to work in the United States are eligible for temporary employment. This includes US citizens, Green Card holders and holders of visas with current work authorisation. Individuals will be required to present proof of work authorisation before an offer is made.

To be considered for temporary work at the Embassy or Consulates-General, applicants are required to provide the following:

Please submit these forms with a copy of your resume to recruitment.washington@dfat.gov.au

Temporary vacancies are usually filled on a short-term contract basis from those listed on the Embassy's temporary staff register. Most vacancies are full-time but less than 3 months in length. Types of temporary vacancies include executive/administrative assistant, registry/file assistant, receptionist, guard, and driver.
Occasionally, longer term temporary vacancies (6 months or more) will occur and will be advertised on Current Vacancies.

Please note that applications are kept on file for 12 months. Your application will be considered when temporary vacancies arise and decisions are based on suitability, availability, and/or the possession of a security clearance (if required by the position). Start dates for all temporary vacancies are subject to satisfactory background checks being completed for all individuals. Only those applicants with authorisation to work in the United States will be considered for the Temporary Registry.

Download application forms