Go to top of page

Visas and migration

Australian immigration stamp

Whether you are visiting Australia for a short period of time or planning to stay of several years, you must have a valid Australian visa. A visa is a form of permission for a non-citizen to enter, transit or remain in a particular country.


I have received notification that my Australian visa has been approved.  Will I still be able to travel?

The Australian Government has announced a number of travel restrictions due to COVID-19.  From 9pm AEDT 20 March 2020, only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.  It will be important to monitor the website for any further updates. 

If I change my travel plans can I still use the same visa to travel after the travel restrictions are lifted or will I need to apply again?

If you will be travelling within the validity period of your visa you will not need to apply again.  You can access our online Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) to check your visa conditions.  If your visa was granted after 1 February 2020 and you are affected by current travel restrictions, you will not be able to check your visa details and conditions using VEVO until the restrictions are lifted.  You should refer to your visa grant letter or access your ImmiAccount for this information.

I would like to withdraw my application for an Australian visa as I no longer wish to travel.  How do I do this and will I get a refund?

If your Australian visa has not been granted and you would like to withdraw your application you will need to advise us of this in writing.  You can complete the form 1446 and attach it to your ImmiAccount or alternatively attach a letter clearly stating that you no longer wish to proceed with your application.  Please note that visa application charges are paid to assess your application.  Should you wish to withdraw your application you may not be refunded this fee. 

Visa types

Information on visas to Australia can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Explore visa options on the department's website to help you find the visa most likely to meet your specific circumstances.

Global Talent - Independent program 2019/20

In November 2019 the Australian Government officially launched the Global Talent - Independent program. The program, offering up to 5,000 places (in 2019/20), provides a streamlined, priority visa pathway for highly skilled and talented individuals to work and live permanently in Australia. The program is designed to attract skilled migrants at the top future-focused fields to Australia.

More information on this visa can be found on the Global Talent - Independent program page of the Department of Home Affairs website.

Visa application lodgement

Most visa applications can be lodged online by creating an ImmiAccount. This is our preferred method of visa lodgement to helps us process your application faster.

If you are lodging an application in the US, please refer to the following information before submitting your application:

Please note, you should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a valid visa to travel to Australia.The Department of Home Affairs will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by travellers whose visa application was finalised later than expected, or where an application is not successful.

Beware of Visa Scams

To avoid being scammed, you can check the Register of Migration Agents on the OMARA website, to receive the protections of an OMARA registered Migration Agent.

There are Australian registered migration agents working all around the world in countries such as India, the United Kingdom, China and New Zealand, just to name a few. These agents are subject to the same Code of Conduct, professional development and regulations as registered migration agents based in Australia. More information about Australia's efforts to ensure the integrity of the migration advice profession is available at: www.mara.gov.au