Visa fees and processing times
A visa application charge is the amount of money in Australian dollars (AUD) that must be paid for a visa application. Estimate the cost of your visa by using the current visa pricing table or pricing estimator.
All payments for visa applications lodged by mail in the USA must be paid by credit card in Australian dollars (AUD).
Please be aware of the below payment requirements:
- Complete all details on the credit card details page within the application form. Incomplete payment information may cause your application to be deemed invalid and returned to the applicant.
- A credit card surcharge may apply.
- Contact your bank prior to lodgement to avoid a declined payment. Transactions will appear in Australian dollars paid to an Australian organisation. Applications with declined payments will be deemed invalid and returned to the applicant.
Visa processing times
The Department of Home Affairs publishes service standards and aims to finalise 75 per cent of visa and citizenship applications within these timeframes. Global visa and citizenship processing times are updated monthly, providing an indicative timeframe for processing applications.
Actual processing times are dependent on a number of factors, such as:
- whether you have provided all necessary supporting documents when you lodge your application
- how well and how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to complete any required checks on information you have provided to support your application
- how long it takes to receive additional information required from areas outside the department particularly in relation to health, character and national security
- how many places are available in the migration program.
Note: Carer, remaining relative and aged dependent relative programs are capped and subject to a queue.
Please note, you should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have an Australian visa or Australian passport to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa or citizenship by descent application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.