Visa fees and processing times
A visa application charge is the amount of money in Australian dollars (AUD) that must be paid for a visa application. Estimate the cost of your visa by using the Visa Pricing Estimator.
The Department of Home Affairs website provides full information on how to pay for your online or paper application.
Applicants who cannot apply online should pay for a paper application using ImmiAccount and enclose a copy of the receipt when mailing their application. We do not accept other forms of payment for applications lodged in the US.
Please be aware that:
- Incomplete payment information may cause your application to be deemed invalid and returned with no further processing.
- Transactions will appear in Australian dollars paid to an Australian organisation. You may wish to contact your bank prior to lodgement to avoid a declined payment. Applications with declined payments will be deemed invalid and returned with no further processing.
- A surcharge may apply.
Visa processing times
Global visa and citizenship processing times will be updated monthly, providing you with an indicative timeframe for processing applications.
Actual processing times are dependent on a number of factors, such as:
- whether you have provided all necessary supporting documents when you lodge your application
- how well and how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to complete any required checks on information you have provided to support your application
- how long it takes to receive additional information required from areas outside the department particularly in relation to health, character and national security
- how many places are available in the migration program.
Note: Carer, remaining relative and aged dependent relative programs are capped and subject to a queue.
Please note, you should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have an Australian visa or Australian passport to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa or citizenship by descent application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.