Passport documents required
It is important that you bring the correct documents to your passport interview so your application can proceed. All documents must be original. We do not accept copies of any kind, including copies made by Notaries Public and Justices of the Peace.
To determine what documents are required for your application, please select your application type:
- Child application for all applicants 17 years and under (Application for an Australian Passport Overseas - PC8)
Which form should I use?
When you fill out your application form online at the global website, you will automatically be directed to the correct form. If you are unsure whether you qualify for a renewal form, please check the criteria below.
Australian Passport Renewal Application (PC7) for adult renewals
Adults who are renewing their Australian passport can use this form if all of the following are true:
- you are an adult (18 years or older), AND
- your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years or older, AND
- you are not changing any of your personal details on the passport, AND
- your most recent passport is/was valid for over 2 years at the time of issue, AND
- your most recent passport has not been reported lost/stolen AND
- your most recent passport has not been expired for more than three years (or is still current), AND
- you are successfully able to answer the security questions on the website.
Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8) for both adult and children
If you do not qualify for renewal form, you must use the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8). This includes the following applicants:
- you are applying for a first ever Australian passport
- you are applying for a child passport (under 18 years of age)
- you are applying for a first adult passport and your child passport was issued to you at 15 years or younger
- you are replacing a lost or stolen passport
- you are changing your name or personal details on the passport
- you are applying for your first passport after resumption of citizenship
- you are applying to replace a limited validity passport, emergency passport, or other temporary travel document
- your passport has been expired for more than 3 years
- you cannot answer the security questions for the renewal form.
All applications must be lodged in person (including renewals). For child applications, one parent must lodge the application in person. It does not matter if the parent is an Australian citizen. Children aged 16 and 17 years old must also attend the interview with one parent.