Go to top of page

Passport applications during COVID-19

Passport Arrangements during Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

The Australian Embassy and our Consulates-General continue to offer passport services during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

Some offices are accepting appointments to receive passport applications in person. Appointment availability varies by location.  In addition, local health requirements prevent clients in some states from attending certain offices until a mandatory quarantine and/or testing has been completed. Please visit our Where To Apply page for details on where you can make an appointment.

If the office that services your state is unable to see you in person it may be possible to apply for a temporary passport by mail if you have confirmed international travel in the next 2 months or another reason why you need a passport at this time.  Please see Applying For A Temporary Passport for more information.

Additionally, if you are in a city or state where stay-at-home orders are in place, or there are government restrictions preventing travel, you may apply for a temporary passport by mail if you have confirmed international travel within the next 2 months.  Please see Applying For A Temporary Passport for more information.  

Visiting our offices during COVID-19

  • You must have an appointment to visit our offices.
  • If you have a fever, cough or any COVID-19 symptoms, please reschedule your appointment.  Please do not attend our offices if you are ill or if you have had recent exposure to someone who is ill.
  • Please do not bring friends or family members to your appointment.  If you are applying for a child passport, both parents are welcome to attend. 
  • Please arrive as close to your appointment time as possible.  Security arrangements at some locations do not allow you to enter the building prior to your appointment time. 
  • You must bring and wear a mask.  We will ask you to remove your mask briefly to confirm your identity.
  • You may be asked to wash or sanitise your hands before commencing your interview.


Do I need to apply if I'm not planning to travel?

No.  If you do not plan to travel and/or do not need a passport right now, you can wait until the COVID-19 situation stabilises before making an appointment at one of our offices. 

What happens if my passport expires during this time?

There is no penalty for letting your passport expire.  Renewing a passport is a personal choice, but you may not be able to leave the United States without a valid passport.  If you do plan to travel or need a passport for another reason, we encourage you to follow the steps above to apply now.

What if I need to travel unexpectedly due to an emergency?

Please apply for an emergency passport as soon as possible by following the instructions above.  We can generally issue an emergency passport within 2 working days. If you need to travel more quickly, please call your lodging office to discuss your situation. 

Will I lose Australian citizenship if my passport expires? 

No.  The status of your passport has no effect on your Australian citizenship. 

Will I have to complete a longer application form if my passport expires? 

It depends.  Adults may have to complete a longer form if they wait longer than 3 years to renew their passport after it expires.  

What if I don’t feel safe travelling to your office?

We understand that you may not feel it is safe to travel at this time, even if your stay-at-home orders have been lifted.  For some people, the best option is to wait until you feel ready to apply in person.

If you are still under a stay-at-home order in your city or state, or you would have to travel through a city or state where a stay-at-home order is in place, you can apply for a temporary passport through the mail if you need a passport right now.  

What if I am medically unable to travel to your office even though my state has opened up?

Please contact us to discuss your situation.  If there is a reason why you need a passport but you have medical evidence that you are unable to travel, you may be able to apply for a temporary passport by mail.

Do I have to replace my temporary/emergency passport in person at your office?

Yes.  If you are issued a temporary or emergency passport, you must lodge a new application using the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (not the renewal form) in person at one of our offices.  Adults may lodge at any location worldwide.  For child applications, the application must be lodged at an office in the country where the child is physically located. 

Do I need six months validity on my passport to travel?

It depends. If you are travelling to Australia, your Australian passport must be valid (not expired) on the date you arrive in Australia. If your passport expires while you are in Australia, you can apply for a new passport in Australia.

For travel to the United States, your passport must be valid for your period of intended stay.  If you are travelling to a different country, you can review the entry/exit requirements for your intended destination on Australia's Smartraveller site.  

Can I apply for a full 5 or 10 year passport by mail?


Do I need my passport to travel domestically in the United States? 

No. A passport is not required for domestic travel in the United States. Adults (18 years and older) must present valid photo ID. Children under 18 are not required to present ID for domestic travel. Contact your air carrier and the Transport Security Administration (TSA) for information on acceptable forms of ID for domestic travel

Do I need a valid passport to apply for/renew my U.S. visa or green card? 

It depends. You may be able to apply for an extension of status online since US embassies have suspended routine visa services.  We encourage you to consult with your visa sponsor and/or immigration lawyer for information about your particular situation. We also encourage you to contact U.S. immigration authorities:

Do I need a valid passport/visa to apply for/renew my U.S. driver’s licence/ID card? 

It depends. Some states allow you to apply for an extension.  Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in your state for more information.  The Department of Homeland Security for the latest information on how the REAL ID act may affect you