Embassy of Australia
United States of America

Consular Services


Consular Services to Australian citizens and permanent residents living in and travelling through or the United States are provided by the Embassy and by the Consulates-General in Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco.

If you require consular assistance, contact your nearest Australian mission. For consular emergencies outside normal business hours in the United States you may call the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +1 888 239 3501.  


The Privacy Act and Consular Services

The Privacy Act 1988 (the Act) imposes legal requirements on the ways in which Australian government departments and agencies may collect, store, use and disclose personal information about an individual with whom departments and agencies have dealings.

The requirements of the Act have important implications for consular work.

Consular officers may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand. The Statement can be found at www.dfat.gov.au/dept/consular/privacy.html.

The Consular Services Charter - What help we may be able to provide and what we cannot do

The Australian Government will do what it can to help Australians in difficulty overseas, but there are legal and practical limits to what help we may be able to provide. Information on the services we may be able to provide and information on what we cannot do are outlined in the Consular Services Charter.

Useful Information