Embassy of Australia
United States of America

Passports PC8 Local Instructions


The PC8 application must be completed in full using black pen. Please read the following instructions carefully to assist you in completing your application. 


All applicants must provide either an Australian Citizenship Certificate or full Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract) to prove Australian citizenship. If you were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, you must also provide one of the five documents: 

1.   Your Australian passport issued after 1 January 2000 that was valid for 2 years or more; or

2.   One parent’s Australian birth certificate; or

3.   One parent’s Australian passport, issued after 20/8/1986, that was valid at the time of the applicant’s birth; or

4.   One parent’s Australian citizenship certificate, valid at the time of the applicant’s birth.

If you are unable to provide these documents, you must obtain a certificate of citizenship.  Information about how to apply is available in the Visas and Immigration section of this website, or by calling the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on +1 613 238 1040.

Note: Children born of Australian citizens outside Australia, including in the United States, must acquire Australian citizenship before applying for a passport. You cannot lodge a passport application at the same time as a citizenship application. For further information on becoming an Australian citizen, please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on telephone +1 613 238 1040.

PROVING YOUR GENDER AND PLACE OF BIRTH – for applicants born overseas only

If you were born overseas, please check your citizenship certificate to see if it lists your gender and place of birth. If the certificate does not list your gender AND place of birth, then you will need to provide evidence.  This can be:

  • Your  foreign birth certificate (with approved translation if it is not in English)
  • Your previous Australian passport (if issued after 20 August 1986 for more than two years)
  • Your foreign passport

If you do not have any of these documents (eg. you were born in a refugee camp), please contact your lodging office for advice.

If the document you provide is in a different name to your Australian citizenship certificate, you must provide a name change document to explain the difference - eg. a marriage certificate, court order, etc.  If you do not have any official name change documents to link the name on your foreign birth certificate to your Australian citizenship certificate, please contact your lodging office for advice.


If you have changed your name since birth or citizenship, you may need to provide additional documents.  Please click here for further information.


Please check your child’s birth certificate carefully to see how both parents’ names are recorded on the certificate. If either parent is currently using a different name to what is recorded on the birth certificate, that parent must provide a name change document to explain the difference – eg. marriage certificate, death certificate, divorce decree or court order. 

In the USA, it is common for birth certificates to show only the mother’s maiden name even if the mother was using a married name at the time of the birth. In these cases, the mother must show a marriage certificate to show the link between the mother’s name on the birth certificate and the current name of the person giving consent.


Please remember that all declarations must be signed using the Australian date format: DD/MM/YYYY. We cannot accept any declarations in US date format. This applies to all declarations on the form – ie. applicant declarations, parental consent declarations, guarantor declarations, statements, etc.  All declarations must be dated within six months from the date of lodgement of your application.

You must ensure that signatures and dates have no alterations, no corrections and no white-out.  We cannot accept signatures/dates that have been overwritten with different coloured pen, or altered in any way.

The applicant's signature in section 17 must be completely inside the white box.


Australian passport photos are different to US passport photos. You should check your photos carefully before submitting them with your application. In particular, the size of your head must be between 32mm and 36 mm from the top of your head (not hair) to the tip of your chin. Your mouth should be closed and your face should have a neutral expression (no smiling). The edges of your face should be visible and your eyes cannot be obscured by glasses frames or your hair. Please make sure there is no flash reflection on your glasses (it is easier to take your glasses off for the photo). Your photo should also have good lighting, no shadows and no red eye. Photos must be sharp and of high quality.

Your Guarantor (see the notes on the next page) must endorse one photo as follows: “This is a true photo of [the applicant’s full name]”, and then sign it below. Do not use paper clips or staples to attach photos to the form as this may make them unusable.

Click here for further information on photos.


Original identification must be provided with all applications. No copies are accepted.

FOR ADULT APPLICATIONS – please click here for a list of what ID is acceptable. You will need to supply ID that meets one of the combinations listed.

FOR CHILD APPLICATIONS – one piece of government-issued photo ID (e.g. passport or driving licence) is required for the lodging parent.  No ID is required for the child.

Please note that section 16 on the application form is optional.


You should allow up to 3 weeks to receive your new passport. If you have an urgent need to travel, please discuss this during your interview.  Please bring evidence of your urgent need to travel - e.g. letter from employer, tickets, etc.


At the end of your interview, your original documents will be copied and returned to you.  Your most recent passport will be physically cancelled at the interview and returned to you.  No visas inside the passport will be cancelled.  Damaged passports may be destroyed by the Passport Office. 


All applications must be lodged in person (including renewals).  There are no exceptions, even if you live a long distance from one of our offices.

If the application is for a child, one parent must lodge the application in person.  It does not matter if the parent is an Australian citizen.   Children aged 16 and 17 years old must attend the interview, together with one parent.  Children aged 15 years and younger are not required to attend the interview.