Embassy of Australia
United States of America

Passports: Change of name if born in Australia

PC8 applicants only

 If you were born in Australia (or live in Australia) and are completing a PC8 application form, your passport can be issued in the following names:


CHOOSE FROM THESE OPTIONS                                                                                            


The name exactly as it appears on your full Australian birth certificate.                                                                

The certificate must not have been superseded by registering a new name with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM).

The name exactly as it appears on your most recent Australian passport that had a validity of two years or more, if that passport was issued after 20 August 1986.      

This applies only if you have not subsequently registered a different name with an Australian RBDM or the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (i.e. on a citizenship certificate).

It is ok if you have had an emergency passport issued after your most recent regular passport that had a validity of two years or more.

The name that appears on a valid certificate issued by an Australian RBDM - for example, a RBDM marriage certificate, a RBDM change of name certificate, a RBDM revised birth certificate or a RBDM registered relationship certificate.

The name on the certificate must not have been replaced by a different name registered with a RBDM. 

Foreign marriage certificates and court orders are not acceptable for name change purposes. 

The name exactly as it appears on a citizenship certificate issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Please also provide documents that show the link between the name on your birth certificate to the name on your citizenship certificate - e.g. a marriage certificate or court order. 

In limited circumstances, an Australian deed poll document can be accepted for name change purposes. To see if this applies to you, please contact your lodging office.                                                                                                               

A Deed Poll document registered in South Australia is not acceptable.




















If you were married overseas and wish to have your married name in your passport, please contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in the state you were born to apply for a RBDM name change certificate.   You cannot use a foreign marriage certificate to change your name, and must instead register your new name with the RDBM in Australia. 

If you were married in Australia, you must present your official RBDM marriage certificate (not the ceremonial certificate you receive on the day of the ceremony).  You must apply to the RBDM to receive your official marriage certificate.

Divorce and other name changes

If you wish to change your name on divorce or for any other reason, you can choose from any of the options in the table above.  If you want a name that is not on any of the documents listed above, then you will need to apply for a RBDM certificate in your desired name.

Gratis name change

If you have more than two years validity remaining on your current passport, you can replace it free of charge if you are changing your name due to:

  • marriage
  • divorce
  • entering into or ceasing to be in a registered or de facto relationship
  • the death of a spouse of partner
  • transitioning to a new gender 

The replacement passport showing your new name will be issued with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced.  You will need to provide evidence of your change in status - eg. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.

You will still need to pay the courier fee to have your new passport sent to you if you do not intend to collect it in person from your lodging office.