Embassy of Australia
United States of America

Passports Adult PC8 Checklist

90% of the applications we receive are incomplete and must be rejected.  Please use this checklist to make sure your application is complete before travelling to see us.


Overseas Application form (PC8)

  • Fully completed application form in black pen
  • Proof of citizenship provided – Australian birth certificate or Australian citizenship certificate.
  • Were you born after 20 August 1986 in Australia? If so, additional documents are required - see PC8 instructions
  • Overseas birth certificate (with translation if not in English) for proof of gender and birth place, plus name change documents for any name changes since birth – this applies to applicants born overseas only.  If you cannot provide your birth certificate, you can use your previous passport.
  • Name change documents provided if the name to go in your new passport is different from your Australian birth certificate name or Australian citizenship certificate name – see name change requirements.
  • Photos checked for size and quality - check under a magnifying glass to make sure there is no graininess, bluriness, pixelation or stripes.
  • Guarantor has written on the back of one photo “This is a true photo of 'applicant name'” and signed underneath.
  • Guarantor signature in Section 11 must exactly match guarantor signature on back of photo
  • No whiteout, overwriting or alterations on signatures/dates at Sections 11, 15, 17 and 18. 
  • Signatures at 17 and 18 are inside the white box.
  • Australian date format used throughout form (DD/MM/YYYY) - check Sections 11, 15 and 17.
  • Visa and MasterCard are the only acceptable forms of payment – remember, fees are adjusted on the 1st of each month. 


  • Correct ID Combination provided - all ID must be original and valid, and contain proof of address


  • Mother's name in section 13A exactly  matches the child's birth certificate - many US birth certificates only show the mother's maiden name so please check carefully
  • If parents' names in 13B and 14B are different from how they appear on child's birth certificate, name change documentation provided – eg. marriage certificate
  • Both parents have given consent at Section 15
  • Witness at Section 15 is not related or living in same household as either parent or child
  • Lodging parent signed/dated declaration at Section 17 (on behalf of child)
  • Children aged 10 and over signed at Section 18 inside the box
  • All court orders issued in relation to the child provided - must be original
  • Name change documentation for child provided if current name is different from birth name
  • 1 piece of government-issued photo/signature ID provided for the lodging parent, including proof of address


If you cannot answer yes to all items, please contact the office where you will be lodging your application to discuss.