Location: Embassy of Australia, Washington DC
LE Level: 2
Position Number: NEW
Status: As required (Hours will vary to cover for anticipated absences on a regular basis)
Agency/Branch/Work Unit: DFAT/CMCB/Security
Contract: 6 months
Security Assessment: Nil
Contact Officer: Contact Officer: Specific questions related to the position can be directed to Justin Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment Officer: Information about Locally-Engaged positions and Embassy recruitment procedures can be located on our website: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/Employment.html.
Email additional questions to: Recruitment.Washington@dfat.gov.au.
The closing date for receipt of applications for this position is Close of Business on Friday, 13 October 2017 (EST).
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. If you have not been requested to attend an interview within four weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful on this occasion.
How to Apply
For details on how to apply, please see our website: www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/HowToApply.html.
Please note taxation is a personal responsibility for all Locally Engaged Staff and individuals should confirm their taxation obligations before considering an offer of employment with the Embassy.
The position is part of the Embassy Security team within the Corporate Management and Consular Branch in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, which is responsible for 24 hour surveillance of Embassy property and staff. The position is responsible for ensuring the protective security of the Embassy premises and of classified material within the premises.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate access to and from the Embassy, conduct regular patrol and monitor movements within and surrounding the Embassy, including performing entry and exit formalities, visual and electronic surveillance with other security officers, checking ID, logging and issuing visitor’s passes, monitoring key /issue return, deliveries, secure fire arms, and check /update entries in the incident/security logs
- Liaise with the public as the initial point of contact, respond to queries and refer to appropriate department contact
- Assist with the Embassy’s main switchboard and monitor Embassy’s CCTV system
- Liaise with local law enforcement concerning pertinent security issues affecting the immediate area
- Oversee vehicular access to the Embassy parking facilities
- Respond to emergencies within the building and surrounding areas concerning staff as well as offer a first point of contact during unsafe scenarios
- Monitor and update information for notification during emergencies such as evacuation drills
- Report on building maintenance safety issues
- Raise and lower the national flag as required
- Assist with after-hours reception duties
- Provide assistance during functions/events at the Embassy or at residences as required
Candidates must address all selection criteria for applications to be considered.
- Relevant recent experience in protective security, law enforcement, military policing or similar.
- Good oral and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to deal with Embassy staff and visitors in a courteous and professional manner, both in person and over the telephone.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as an ability to undertake long and solitary shift work.
- Ability to remain calm in difficult, dangerous, and/or emergency situations.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle difficult people solve routine problems and deal with day-to-day operational issues.
- Basic administrative, organisational and computing skills.
- Knowledge of or work-related experience in, the protective security operations of a diplomatic mission, international organization or organization that has a direct security linkage to a diplomatic community.