Embassy of Australia
United States of America
Embassy address: 1601 Massachusetts Ave, NW Washington DC 20036 - Telephone: (202) 797 3000 - Fax: (202) 797 3168

Notarial Services

PLEASE NOTE: The Embassy provides Notarial services on Fridays between 10 am and 12 noon or by appointment only. The Embassy will be closed on Friday 3rd July 2015.

Notarial services are provided by the Australian Embassy and the Australian Consulates-General in Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco. Notarial services are not available at the Honorary Consulates in Denver and Miami. Further information on Notarial Services is available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Smartraveller website.

Under the Consular Fees Act of 1955, fees apply to Notarial services. Fees are payable in United States dollars only, in the form of cash, credit card or U.S. Postal Money Order. The Embassy does not accept cheques.

Notarial services available include:

NOTE: Some Notarial acts, including Apostilles, cannot be performed outside Australia. Anyone requiring an Apostille should contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade state or territory offices in Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin, Perth or Brisbane, or the Australian Passport Offices in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne or Newcastle.

Do I Need to Come to the Embassy?

For Authentications and Certifying Copies of Original Documents, you do not have to come to the Embassy but you may send us your original documents. 

PLEASE NOTE: If you send your documents to the Embassy, make sure that you provide clear instructions on what services you want us to perform, including numbers of copies, and the payment. Payment must be by credit card using the Credit Card Authorisation Form which you should include with your documents or U.S. Postal Money Order. Documents that are mailed without the correct payment will be returned unprocessed.

If you do send your documents, we recommend that you use a courier that allows you to track their delivery. The Embassy can return your documents by Federal Express for an additional charge of USD$15 for each outbound shipment of up to 8 ounces. If you prefer, you can provide a prepaid letter-sized envelope with the courier company of your choice.

For Notarial services, please address all mail to:

Consular Affairs
Embassy of Australia
1601 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20036-2273

If you need to come the Embassy, for example for your signature to be witnessed on land transfer documents, please make sure that you have been provided with instructions on what we are required to witness by the party who requires the documents.

PLEASE NOTE: It is your responsibility to determine what services you require as we cannot provide advice on what documents, or parts of documents we are required to witness. Payment must be by credit card using the Credit Card Authorisation Form or U.S. Postal Money Order.

Authenticating and/or Certifying Australian Education Certificates

The Embassy can only authenticate or make certified copies of education documents issued by an accredited Australian education authority. Please note that the education document must first have been verified by the central Student Administration office or the nominated representative of the issuing institution as a 'true and accurate record’ of the certificate issued to the student. You should contact the Australian institution where the certificate was issued for information on how to obtain their verification.

We cannot authenticate or certify copies of education certificates issued by an education institution outside Australia. For these, you should contact the Embassy of the country in which the education certificate was issued.

Notarial Services at the Consulates-General


The Australian Consulate-General in Chicago performs notarial services by appointment only between 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments can be made by calling +1 (312) 419-1480 or emailing chicago@dfat.gov.au.


The Australian Consulate-General in Honolulu performs notarial services by appointment only between 8am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments can be made by calling +1 (808) 529-8100.


The Australian Consulate-General in Houston performs notarial services by appointment only between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments should be made no less than 48 hours in advance by calling +1 (832) 962-8420. 

Los Angeles

The Australian Consulate-General in Los Angeles (www.losangeles.consulate.gov.au) performs notarial services between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments are required for services that can only by performed by an Australian Diplomatic or Consular Officer, including the witnessing of land transfers, photo kits and affidavits.

To make an appointment (or if you are unsure whether you require an appointment), call +1 (310) 229-2300 or +1 (310) 229-2327.

New York

The Australian Consulate-General in New York (www.newyork.usa.embassy.gov.au) performs notarial services on Fridays between 9am and 12 noon.

This is a walk-up service only - no appointments are taken.

San Francisco

The Australian Consulate-General in San Francisco performs notarial services by appointment only between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments should be made no less than 48 hours in advance by calling +1 (415) 644-3620.



Please ensure that documents relating to Notarial services are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for witnessing any signatures on the documents. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note, by witnessing a signature on a document neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy or Consulates-General in the United States guarantee the legal effectiveness of the document or the accuracy of its contents.