Embassy of Australia
United States of America

Translation of foreign documents for visa & citizenship applications

All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by an official translation by one of the approved translators below.  This includes documents such as copies of foreign birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, name change certificates and court orders, as well as any correspondence that is not in English. 

Please note that both a certified copy of the foreign language document AND the original translation must be submitted with your application.


Translations performed in the United States

Translations in the United States must be performed by a translator who is a current Active Member of the American Translators Association (ATA), certified by the ATA to translate into English from the language on your documents.  You may choose a certified translator from the ATA Directory.

Please note that we do not accept translations from companies who have corporate or institutional membership of the ATA, unless the individual translator who performed the translation is also an Active Member of the ATA, certified to perform translations into English from the language on your documents. No other types of ATA membership are acceptable – only Active Members of the ATA.

The membership details of the translator should be clearly specified in the translation document.

Please refer to the ATA Directory for a list of currently available languages for certified translation into English. 

If you require translations from a different language, you should obtain one from a NAATI-accredited translator in Australia (see below).


Translations performed in Australia

Translations in Australia must be performed by a translator who is accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI). Only NAATI-accredited translations will be accepted. Please refer to the  NAATI on-line directory to choose an accredited translator.

All documents translated in a country other than Australia or the United States, must be performed by an accredited translator.